Thursday, August 15, 2013

Caring for Others

In this day and age when we know people on the other side of the world, yet have not met our own next-door neighbors, the idea of helping each other in times of difficulty is a challenge.  Our families, often broken into pieces given the stresses of life in general, are often not there to help when necessity comes.  The ties that we have with those who are closest to us are the most important, and we need to cement those ties by being there for our loved ones, whether they are blood family, dear friends, or those we see daily for other reasons.

Recently, I had a series of difficulties that made me dependent on others: my car died, my father died, my mother is planning on surgery....life has been a little hectic to say the least.  It was a blessing to me that my mother was able to provide me with a loan to replace my vehicle. In the interim, my daughters made certain that I was able to get to the places I needed to go.  Not all families are so closely knit as ours, but whomever you call family, it is important to realize that they are there for you when you need them.

It is unusual for me to be on the receiving end of this kind of care, and it gives me a feeling of security that my family is there for me.  Of course, I was told that I am there for them when they need me, and I am honored that they trust me enough to say so.  I feel blessed that I can step in when I am needed, having the health and well-being to be of service to my family or friends, when the time comes.

It is the availing of ourselves to those who need help that bridges the gap between people.  It strengthens the bonds and brings us closer when life throws us curve balls.  We think in terms of paying it forward and doing random acts of kindness, but the key is to give of ourselves without asking anything in return.  In this way, we bless others and also bless ourselves.

May you be richly blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment